Saturday

4. Taiwanese Get-Together

Monday July 14, 2008

Monday night I met and had dinner with the Taiwanese "comfort women" group "Taipei Women's Rescue Foundation" who were visiting Korea for three days. They came with two Taiwanese "comfort women" *ahmas.

It was really great to meet them before my visit to Taiwan. I spoke with organizers including Director Graceia Lai, who I had been in contact with from New York. This was also my first encounter with some of the actual survivors. The Taiwanese ahmas were filled with so much life and spirit.

http://www.twrf.org.tw/chinese/index1.asp

* "halmunis" in Korean, or "ahmas" in Taiwanese means "grandmas". (In Asia, elders are commonly referred to as grandmother or grandfather, whether you are related to them or not, as a way of showing respect.)

No comments: